Why SERVPRO- Anything Can Happen
From initial training at SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, rest assured our staff is prepared.
Disasters do not stop for anything. In fact--- it seems the world is full of them during the COVID-19 pandemic more so than ever before. In many disaster, cleaning, and restoration situations, immediate action is needed. SERVPRO of West Erie County is strategically positioned to be faster to any size emergency. An immediate response helps to minimize the damage, cleaning, and restoration costs.
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. Our training program includes the following:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes
The past few decades have seen a rapid advancement in the technology and techniques used in the restoration industry. These advancements allow SERVPRO of West Erie County Professionals to restore a property back to preloss conditions quickly, reliably, and more effectively.
If fire or water damage sidelines your business, you need a professional restoration company to quickly restore your property. Every hour spent restoring your business is lost revenue and productivity. Commercial restoration presents unique challenges and we have the training, experience, and resources to handle any size disaster.
SERVPRO of West Erie County is locally owned and operated—so we’re a part of this community too. We are also part of a national network of over 1,700 Franchises, which enables us to respond quicker with more resources. For major storms and disasters, we can call upon special Disaster Recovery Teams strategically located throughout the country.
We are proud to serve West Erie County! Call 814.806.1987 for details.
Wooden Furniture and Water Damage
SERVPRO of West Erie County understands how water can damage wooden furniture and how to stop the water from causing more damage.
When water rises quickly inside a home, more than just your flooring can get wet and damaged. An overflowing toilet or failing dishwasher can rapidly remove varnishes, stain fabrics, and warp the wood on chairs, couches, and tables.
Restoring furniture and belongings after water damage can be a daunting task. SERVPRO of West Erie County understands how water can damage wooden furniture and how to stop the water from causing more damage.
When one of our professionals comes to your home, the first thing they will do is raise the furniture off the wet surface or remove it from your home if necessary. Then they will inspect your belongings for the any of the following problems:
- Swelling: Water cause wood to swell and crack. The frames on couches are not treated to resist water. Water breaks down the glue that holds it together, weakens the joints, and can cause the couch to be unstable and unsafe to use. To reduce the moisture content, our team will use dehumidifiers to draw the moisture out of the frame and surrounding air. This will help keep the glue together and keep your couch safe and ready to use.
- Water Spotting: Upholstery such as couch and chair skirts can sometimes have water spots or a water level mark that requires dry cleaning. To permanently avoid spotting, our technicians at SERVPRO of West Erie County will carefully wet the entire piece of fabric and then dry it completely.
- Color Bleeding: Sometimes fabrics bleed when they absorb too much water. We will use dehumidifiers to draw out the moisture, and utilize air movers to move warm, dry air over the surface to speed up the drying process.
- Mold and Mildew: If you do not remove standing water quickly, a thin white coat of fungus will begin to grow on exposed wood. Again, our industrial sized dehumidifiers and air movers will help stop the growth of mold and mildew. We also have specialized cleaner to remove the mold or mildew already present.
Restoring wooden furniture to a safe and usable state is not a simple process. The technicians at SERVPRO of West Erie County are trained to restore water damage and will help make your home or business “Like it never even happened.”
Call us today! (814) 806 1987
Connect with us on Facebook.
Why is my Skylight Leaking?
Sometimes with high levels of humidity and the use of air conditioning, skylights can experience excessive condensation that will drip down the glass.
A skylight is a clever architectural feature to bring light into dark rooms. While skylights can be a beautiful feature, they have one major downside – leaks. A leaky skylight can lead to major property damage if not repaired correctly.
The best way to identify a leak is through inspection. Sometimes with high levels of humidity and the use of air conditioning, skylights can experience excessive condensation that will drip down the glass. This is not a major problem and can usually be fixed with some anti-fogging spray.
If your skylight can open, it is important to make sure debris like leaves, sticks, and dirt, are not obstructing your skylight and keeping it from sealing properly.
Additionally, weather seals age with time and exposure to the sun and water. Damaged and worn out weather seals are one of the most common causes of a leaking skylight. It is also a simple repair to replace the seals.
The second most common cause of leaking skylights is damage to insulated glass and the point where the glass meets the frame. The only way to repair cracked glass is to replace the skylight.
Sometimes, your skylight may not be the problem at all. If your roof is sloped, shingles or tiles are damaged, the skylight can allow water in when it travels down your roof.
If you are experiencing a leaky roof, skylight, or any other water damage to your home, SERVPRO of West Erie County is happy to help! We can restore any water damage, as well as repair your roof. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Do not hesitate to give us a call! (814) 806 1987
Connect with us on Instagram
Different Types of Storms in West Erie, PA
A thunderstorm is a type of storm that generates lightning and thunder. It is normally accompanied by heavy precipitation.
In Erie, PA, you can never be exactly sure what kind of weather you might get for the day. Lake effect rain and snow can play a major role in your everyday life. It is important to know the different kinds of storms, so you can be prepared for anything that might come your way!
Windstorm: A storm marked by high wind with little or no precipitation. Windstorm damage often opens the door for massive amounts of water and debris to cause further damage to a structure.
Thunderstorm: A thunderstorm is a type of storm that generates lightning and thunder. It is normally accompanied by heavy precipitation. Individual storm clouds can measure 2–10 km across.
Snowstorm: A heavy fall of snow accumulating at a rate of more than 2 inches per hour that lasts several hours. Snowstorms, especially ones with a high liquid equivalent and breezy conditions, can bring down tree limbs, cut off power, and paralyze travel over a large region.
Blizzard: There are varying definitions for blizzards, both over time and by location. In general, a blizzard is accompanied by gale-force winds, heavy snow, and very cold conditions. Lately, the temperature criterion has fallen out of the definition across the United States.
Ice storm: Ice storms are one of the most dangerous forms of winter storms. When surface temperatures are below freezing, but a thick layer of above-freezing air remains aloft, rain can fall into the freezing layer and freeze upon impact into a glaze of ice. In general, 8 millimeters of accumulation is all that is required, especially in combination with breezy conditions, to start downing power lines, as well as tree limbs. Ice storms also make unheated road surfaces too slick to drive upon.
No matter what may happen, you can rest assured SERVPRO of West Erie County is here to help! We are ready for whatever kind of storm may come your way. We have the equipment and trained professionals ready to handle any type of disaster.
If you should need our help after a storm, call us at (814) 806 1987
Or send us a message via Facebook
September is National Preparedness Month!
We know the stress and time it takes to recover after a disaster. We urge you to plan and be prepared in advance!
Are you prepared in case of a disaster? Disaster may sound like a scary word, something that would not happen to you or your family. But disaster could come in the form of a bad storm with heavy rains and winds, a mold problem in your bathtub, or a grease fire in your kitchen.
In the same way people make new year resolutions, National Preparedness Month is a great time to create, review, or revise your plans in case of an emergency.
FEMA offers some wonderful tools to help you and your family prepare for a disaster.
At SERVPRO of West Erie County we help customers through fire, water and mold every day. We know the stress and time it takes to recover after a disaster. We urge you to plan and be prepared in advance!
If you should have an emergency, please do not hesitate to contact us! We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are fire and water restoration experts and dedicated to helping the members of our community.
Call us if you need our help (814) 806 1987
Or send us a message via our Facebook
Buying a New Home? Home Inspection Tips
SERVPRO of West Erie County is here to help no matter what you may need!
Buying a New Home? Home Inspection Tips
Buying a new home is easy and fun right?
Although the process is usually a fun and exciting one, there can be several questions and issues that arise throughout the viewing and purchasing process.
Older homes are more affordable and sometimes have a unique character attached to them. While newer homes may be able to offer more peace of mind when it comes to appliances, plumbing, and infrastructure. Even with a new home, you can never be completely sure about the care previous tenants took of their home.
SERVPRO of West Erie County is here to offer some tips and things to look at before investing in a new home:
- Check the age of the water heater
- Check for leaks at the base of the toilet, flush each toilet to make sure there are no clogs
- Test the water pressure by turning on all the water faucets at once and make sure there is sufficient water stream in the showers, bathrooms, and faucets
- Have a professional come check the sewer line to the street
- Mold, Weather, and Water Damage
- Look around for signs of mold growth inside cabinetry, around pipes, in the basement etc..
- Look for other signs of excessive weathering such as musty odors or peeling paint
- Foundational Damage and Potential for Flooding
- Foundational damage can cost thousands of dollars in repairs
- Look for cracking inside and outside the home, and signs of unevenness in the flooring
- Consider the potential for flooding especially if the property is near a body of water, or on low ground at the bottom of a hill
SERVPRO of West Erie County is here to help you in any situation! Whether you just bought a home and want the carpets cleaned or are trying to sell your home and want to spruce it up a little before putting it on the market.
We are fire and water restoration experts, but we also provide cleaning and construction services as well.
Give us a call today and see why people choose SERVPRO of West Erie County (814) 806 1987
Connect with us on Facebook
Top 5 Overlooked Places Mold Grows
If you suspect you may have mold, call the experts at SERVPRO of West Erie County!
Although we usually equate mold to dark and damp basements, mold is insidious and can grow in places you least expect it. Mold can grow exponentially within 24 hours of being exposed to moisture and spread quickly.
Below are some common places mold forms that you may not be aware
The spaces behind and under your fridge rarely see the light of day. Even a small leak can lead to a huge mold problem. Make sure to clean all water lines and drip pans and clean behind and underneath your refrigerator regularly.
Brick crevices can collect water, dirt, and other debris. Rusted chimney caps and faulty flashing can let in rain and snow. Replace rusted caps and fix flashing to help decrease the likelihood of mold. Additionally, getting your chimney swept by a professional at least once a year can help lower your chances of mold. If you have already discovered mold, a licensed mold specialist can remove the it for you.
- Front-Loading Washing Machines
Front-loading washing machines are great but can be a potential home for mold. The gasket on the door often stays wet because the door is usually closed when not in use. It is best to wipe the gasket and glass dry before shutting the door. If you do spot mold, run a hot water cycle with some chlorine bleach and no clothes to kill the fungi.
Even top loading washing machines can accumulate moisture and form mold. Make sure to check behind and underneath your washer and dryer regularly to make sure there is no extra moisture or leaks.
Always clean out your lint tray to prevent a fire hazard.
When it rains, condensation accumulates, and moisture is left behind long after the rain has stopped. This provides a perfect nesting spot for mold to settle in. After heavy rains, open your windows and wipe the moisture off the windowsills. Replace any broken seals if you notice water has leaked into the wood and walls.
Air conditioning units trap dust and pollen and grab moisture from the air. If you don’t run your AC unit at least once every 24 hours, warm weather humidity gives mold a chance to grow. If mold grows in your air conditioning unit, you will need a mold specialist to come and clean it out.
If you suspect you may have mold, call the experts at SERVPRO of West Erie County. We can handle any situation, large or small, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Call us Today! (814) 806 1987
Connect with us on Facebook
Continuing Education Classes: The SERVPRO Difference
If you are looking for a continuing education class in your area, do not hesitate to choose SERVPRO of West Erie County!
SERVPRO of West Erie County offers continuing education classes for insurance agents, adjusters, and real estate professionals. We work to build reciprocal relationships with insurance agents in the surrounding community.
The classes are available for credit or non-credit and provide up-to-date information to better serve your customers.
At our continuing education classes, we not only provide information, but opportunities to play games and win prizes as well.
Our programs are designed to help insurance agents and adjusters make well-informed and knowledgeable decisions when it comes to emergency fire and water mitigation.
Some of the topics covered include:
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Restorative Drying for Water Damage
- Biohazard Clean-up
- Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry
If you are looking for a continuing education class in your area, do hesitate to choose SERVPRO of West Erie County. I think you will be impressed with the SERVPRO difference.
Call us today for more information: (814) 806 1987
Or connect with us on Facebook for more information
Board Up and Tarp Over Services Available to West Erie Residents
SERVPRO of West Erie can provide board-up and tarp over services as well as fire restoration and repairs.
Fire damage can often compromise windows, walls, and roofs. SERVPRO of West Erie County can board up missing windows and walls, and place tarps on damaged roofs to prevent further damage.
Here are 3 Reasons to Use Our Board-Up or Tarp Services After a Fire:
- Prevents Further Damage from Bad Weather and Debris: Fire damage can take varying amounts of time to cleanup depending on the severity of the fire. Throughout this time, you do not want any more damage causing you more money and valuable time. Keeping your roof covered can prevent water damage from rain, or wind carrying debris into the building.
- Keep Out Animals: Along with debris, furry creatures may find their way inside the building if it is not covered properly. Mice, rats, raccoons, and birds can all cause a variety of problems and unwanted headaches. It is best to cover any open spaces to keep out the rodents until the repairs are completed.
- Maintain Security and Reduce the Risk of a Break-In: Unfortunately, many people might see a damaged building as an easy target for theft or vandalism. Even after the fire, it’s likely there are still valuable possessions that would be costly to replace. Using board-up or tarp over services can help deter thieves from trying to get inside by making it significantly more difficult.
SERVPRO of West Erie can provide board-up and tarp over services as well as fire restoration and repairs. We will do our best to help keep your property safe throughout this time and reduce the amount of time and effort needed to return your property to preloss condition.
If you should need our services, give us a call today! (814) 806 1987
Connect with us on Instagram
The Importance of Appearance for Your Commercial Property
SERVPRO of West Erie County is here to help you get your commercial property in tip top shape!
Everybody knows that first impressions are the most lasting. But the cleanliness and appearance of the exterior of commercial buildings is not always a priority. Of course, health and safety concerns are number one, but after that, matters relating to appearance are often pushed aside.
The exterior of your building sets the tone for what customers expect when they walk inside. If your property is well-maintained, it tells customers, you take pride and value in the products or services you are offering.
Additionally, employees are often happier and more productive in well maintained, clean, and organized workspaces. Investing in the maintenance of a building will often keep you informed and alert to any emerging or potential problems. It is recommended to perform a building inspection once a year to take notes on the appearance and functionality of your commercial building.
SERVPRO of West Erie County Recommends:
- Checking for Chipped Paint: Chipped or peeling paint can dramatically the effect the appearance of your commercial building. A fresh coat of paint can really brighten up the building and make it look more inviting.
- Roof Inspection: If your roof has not been looked at in a while, it is a good idea to have a professional come and inspect it. You do not want to find out you have a roof problem, by walking into a mini lake in your office or building.
- Mechanical Systems: Again, it is better to take preventative care than waiting for a problem to happen. HVAC systems should be serviced at least once a year. You do not want to wait until the middle of November to make sure your furnace works.
- Windows and Glass Doors: Dirty, smeared windows look bad from the outside and the inside. When the sun shines in on a nice August day, customers and employees can see everything. SERVPRO of West Erie County can come clean your windows and have them looking shiny and smudge-free in no time!
SERVPRO of West Erie County is here to help you get your commercial property in tip top shape. We want the best for you and your customers. For more information about the services we provide, visit our website.
Call us if you have any questions! (814) 806 1987
Become Facebook friends with us for fun tips, tricks, and reminders!