Tackle Storms and Severe Weather with Technology
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pokémon Go…the number of social media apps and ways to stay connected are endless. Although catching Pokémon and going live on Facebook are fun ways to stay entertained, technology can help keep you safe during a storm!
Technology can be a vital tool in preparing for a storm, keeping you informed, and helping you communicate with others. Below are some common technology tips, as well as some new ones you may want to check out!
- Follow the news and stay informed! You can download free apps onto your phone or tablet such as The Weather Channel or Erie News Now to stay up to date with the newest information! Additionally, you can alert first responders to an emergency situation through Twitter. Subscribe through an organization’s alert page such as FEMA.
- Store an extra copy of important information online. Services like Google Drive and Dropbox make it even easier to store important information such as insurance policies, medical records, identification documents, and even information about pets living in the home. This ensures information will be accessible to you should your home or business flood or catch fire. Your phone goes with you everywhere you go!
- Let family know you’re safe through The American Red Cross app or website. It can give family members peace of mind to know you are safe. You can also check-in on Facebook.
- Always keep a back-up charger in your car! You never know when you may need to charge your phone and keeping a back-up charger in your car guarantees you will never be left with a dead phone.
- Create an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) for your business. The Emergency Ready Profile will be created for you by a SERVPRO worker free of charge. It will provide important facility details such as valve shut-off locations for water, electric, and gas and priority contact information. It will be available to you on your smartphone or tablet any time, day or night.
Being prepared for a storm can offer peace of mind. Technology is one of the quickest and easiest ways to stay informed about the weather and what is happening in your community. You have access to multiple sources of information and ways to communicate in the palm of your hand.
Should you need emergency services during or after a storm, do not hesitate to contact SERVPRO of West Erie County at (814) 806 – 1987
Connect with us on Facebook