Mold in Your Home Series - The Bathroom (Part 1)
Mold is a fungus that sprout microscopic spores. What causes mold to grow in your home? It needs the right conditions.
- Mold spores need to be present in order to grow.
- Mold needs a food source like wood or cotton or drywall.
- Mold needs warmth. It doesn’t grow in freezing temperatures.
- It needs oxygen, which is in the air.
- It likes darkness and can’t grow under ultraviolet lights.
- And, it loves moisture, humidity, dampness.
Mold loves humidity. When it’s rainy outside and the humidity is high, mold can start to grow and can grow quickly. This is why, when you experience water damage, SERVPRO wants to start remediating your damage immediately to help avoid growth in your home. If you live in an area with high humidity, which can be an issue for Erie, PA residents because we live near a body of water, then mold can be a recurring problem. Erie residents need to keep the conditions that contribute to mold growth under control.
Our series will start with the Bathroom.
The bathroom is a very moist room due to showers, baths and toilets. If not properly ventilated, it is a perfect place for mold growth.
Where to check for mold in the bathroom.
- Check shampoo bottles, wash cloths and loofahs.
- Check tile, showers, sinks and toilets
- Under the sink where supplies are stored
- Check shower curtains, toothbrush caddies.
- Around faucets and shower heads.
- And, bathroom rugs
Bathrooms are rooms that have an environment perfect for mold growth. Tips to fight against mold in the bathroom.
- Wash items often such as towels, wash cloths, shower curtains and rugs.
- Replace loofahs and toothbrushes regularly.
- Use a ventilation fan while showering and make sure it is vented properly.
- A dehumidifier or air conditioner keeps humidity down.
- Keep all surfaces (showers, sinks, toilets, tile, floors) clean and dry.
- Check for leaky faucets and toilets.
If you still find yourself in need of mold remediation, call SERVPRO of West Erie County at 814-806-1987.