What to Do After the Fire is Out
Having a fire in your home can be a very tragic event. Sadly, the Red Cross reports that home fires are increasing. According to The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fires across the country have risen 8% since 2000 and keep rising.
Home fires can be caused by a multitude of reasons, but the leading causes include; candles being left lit, fireplaces unattended, and faulty wiring. Since fires do happen regularly, SERVPRO of West Erie County professionals are trained to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
If you've incurred damage from fire, smoke or soot, your first call should be to SERVPRO of West Erie County. However, there are things you can do before we get there.
Things to keep in mind after the fire is out:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot and particles from spreading and causing additional damage.
- Place coverings like old rugs or towels over high traffic areas.
- Place foil or blocks under legs of furniture.
- Do not wash any walls.
- Do not clean carpet.
- Do not touch any electrical equipment.
- Do not send clothing out to any dry cleaner.
Once SERVPRO of West Erie County professionals arrive, their steps include:
- A safety walk-through to make sure there are no hazards for your family or workers.
- Estimator will inspect and document damage in the home.
- Provide a scope of work to be done per area.
- dispatch technicians to come out and perform the work.
- Complete a final walk though and assure Customer Satisfaction form (COS) is signed.
SERVPRO has the equipment,technology and training to clean and restore everything in your home to IICRC Standards. We can repair or restore anything from walls, furniture, to precious keepsakes.
We use an ultrasonic fire line system to clean precious items like jewelry, dishes and other valuables with ultrasonic water.
Our Esporta Wash System can clean any fire damaged clothing and soft goods by getting rid of the smell of soot and smoke.
SERVPRO of West Erie County carries its own chemicals that are specifically created to clean up soot and smoke cause by a fire. Many of our products are green and eco-friendly.
While we hope that you never experience a home fire, if you do, know you can SERVPRO of West Erie County at (814) 806-1987 and we will make it “Like it never even happened.”